Farewell from the Convention Chair
A dhaoine uaisle, Maith dúinn ár lochtanna, ach coinnigh greim ar na cuimhní maithe. Anois bígí ar bhúr slí, agus go n-eirí an bóthar libh go léir.
Honoured Peoples, thank you for joining us in Dublin, Ireland. It was wonderful to welcome you all - our guests, participants, volunteers and so many of you for the first time to a Worldcon.
I know now that many of you now know, that a Worldcon in one’s country is an amazing thing, a fabulous gathering and an incredibly hard task - worth the efforts, toil, blood, sweat and tears. It was wonderful to see so many people join us. It was a great time. We brought the world to Ireland and we celebrated the best, brightest and brilliance of Ireland with you all. I have so many people to thank, but fortunately, some of that task was completed in our souvenir book and at our closing and any time I spoke, but should you have been busy and missed this - please accept my thanks.
I cannot believe that so suddenly the first Irish Worldcon is over, as I stood in an empty warehouse, and quiet convention centre. I can only hope that you have good memories, have formed good friendships and enjoyed the convention. I look forward to seeing many of you again both afar, but I hope on these shores once more.
Thank you for your support, help, commitment and for a wonderful Dublin 2019: An Irish Worldcon.
Mise le Meas.
James Bacon, Chair
This is such an honour and a delight, and entirely down to @jimfitzpatrick's design and Eleanor Wheeler's interpretation.
Congratulations to both artists!
As we get even more excited about @CoNZealand starting in just under two weeks, it's bringing up all sorts of happy memories about our event last year.
Looking at this write-up from @TheCCD, we aren't the only ones who enjoyed ourselves!
- Apology from the Chair for the problems with the close captioning during the Hugo Awards ceremony
- Touring Tuesdays: Gillian Polack’s Guide to the Hill of Tara
- Fantastic Fridays: Beatrice Grimshaw
- Touring Tuesdays: Dublin’s Georgian Squares
- Fantastic Fridays: Mervyn Wall
- Touring Tuesdays: Nice Walks Near Dublin
- Fantastic Fridays: Dora Sigerson Shorter
- Fantastic Fridays: Elizabeth Bowen
- Fantastic Fridays: Ethna Carbery
- George R.R. Martin to visit the IFI during Worldcon for a Screening of Forbidden Planet.