Irish child protection guidelines and liquor licensing laws mean there are requirements we must follow for those younger than 18 years old, having to do with when they can be in licensed places and whether they must be with an adult. We have summarized these below – if you have any questions or want to discuss the specifics of what this will mean for your child, please contact email@example.com. We are here to help.
Note: Given the restrictions on their activities relative to adults, all Young Adult members under the age of 18 are eligible to receive a refund of the difference between the Young Adult and Child member rates at the time they purchased their membership. These refunds will be processed at the convention at the Child and Young Adult Check-in Table.
Age Related Rules and Restrictions
Children 10 and under
- At both Point Square and the CCD, children 10 and under must be within pointing distance1 of their responsible adult2 at all times.
- After 10 pm at the CCD, they can only be in the Auditorium, on the Level 4 Foyer, or in transit on their way out of the building or to/from these locations.3
- May be in children’s programming or childcare, see below for more information
Children age 11 and 12
- At Point Square, they may be on their own if their responsible adult is in the same building and both child and responsible adult2 know where the other is located
- At the CCD, they must be within pointing distance1 of their responsible adult at all times
- After 10 pm at the CCD, can only be in the Auditorium, on the Level 4 Foyer, or in transit on their way out of the building or to/from these locations.3
- May be in children’s programming or childcare, see below for more information.
Young Adults age 13 and 14 (Early Teens)
- Early Teens may be at the Point Square location independently.
- At any time of the day, including after 10 pm, Early Teens can be in the Auditorium or on the Level 4 Foyer on their own, so long as their responsible adult2 is in the building and they each know where the other is located.3
- At other locations within the CCD, Early Teens must be within pointing distance1 of their responsible adult.
- Some children’s programming (at the Spencer Hotel) will be suitable/appealing for Early Teens, and they can attend these items independently.
- Early Teens can volunteer independently in children’s program. For other jobs they must be accompanied by a responsible adult (not necessarily a parent, that was a typo in version 2).
Young Adults age 15-17 (Teens)
- Teens can attend the convention independently at both CCD and Point Square locations, but must provide contact information for a responsible adult.2
- After 10 pm at the CCD, Teens can only be in the Auditorium, on the Level 4 Foyer, or in transit on their way out of the building or to/from those locations.3
- Can volunteer independently for most jobs (move-in and build jobs are restricted to those age 16 or older).
About Point Square
In addition to the CCD, during the day, many convention functions will be taking place at Point Square. Point Square is not a licensed location, and thus different rules apply there than at the CCD. Point Square consists of the adjoining buildings of the Point Square Shopping Centre and the Gibson Hotel. Point Square serves as a creative hub highlighting science and the visual arts. The majority of programme items dealing with science & technology, art, costuming, and comics and graphic novels will be located there. It will also house the Art Show and Print Shop, Lego showpieces from Brick.ie (amongst other displays), and collaborative art projects for members to participate in, including letterpress printing with the National Print Museum and crafting sessions.
Children’s Programme and Childcare
Dublin 2019 will be offering a wide array of children’s programming during the day at the Spencer Hotel. There will also be evening family activities. In addition, we are offering paid childcare, and in response to these new restrictions, have lowered the rates from those previously published. Space is limited, however, and advance signup highly encouraged. Follow the links to learn more about both of those options and see below for how your child’s age impacts availability.
- Children age 0-12 – can be in paid childcare offered by professional, Garda vetted childminders
- Children age 3-5 – can attend some children’s programming if accompanied by an adult
- Children age 6-12 – can attend children’s programming on their own if signed in and out by an adult, as we have Garda-vetted volunteer staff in this location. Can volunteer for some roles if accompanied by an adult on their shifts.
- Teens aged 13-14 – can attend children’s programming on their own
Badge Pickup and Registration
Young Adult members – We will need to verify your age at the convention before giving you a badge. If you are 18 or over, you must bring age-verifying identification in order to receive an adult badge. You will start by visiting the registration line, where you will receive your name sticker, then proceed to the Child and Young Adult Check-in Table for age verification and to receive your badge, which will be color coded for people under 18. Everyone under 18 must also provide contact information for a parent/responsible adult.
Child and Infant members – You will pick up your badge at registration, but must visit the Child and Young Adult Check-in Table to provide contact information for a parent/responsible adult.
We know some of you would be happy to volunteer your services to watch fellow members’ children. While we greatly appreciate such goodwill, Irish law requires that events providing such a service only use childminders who have been vetted in advance by the Gardaí. However, members are free, and encouraged, to make private arrangements together, as this would have no such restriction.
1 Pointing distance – can point across the room to where their responsible adult is located.
2 Someone 18 or over that the parent of the child has designated to be responsible for them.
3 These are designated no-alcohol-allowed spaces. The Auditorium will have various large events (Hugos, Masquerade and more) so everyone can attend those. The Level 4 foyer will have a teen lounge after 8 pm in the evenings.